Introduction: What is "Affluenza"?
Resources for Group Study and Biblical/Theological Reflection
Since affluenza relates to economic practices, an appropriate place to begin a serious study is with basic biblical economics -- then move to consideration of how to reconcile lifestyle choices and household practices with the biblical story.
Curing Affluenza - Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne
In the late 1990's, Tony Campolo produced a six-part video series responding to affluenza which is still useful for group discussion. More recently Campolo and Shane Claiborne have released other resources related to affluenza and simple living.
- Curing Affluenza -- series of six 25-minute videos featuring Tony Campolo.
Purchase DVD set from EcuFilm ($99.95).
[This series is also available from some church A/V lending libraries.]
- "Abundant life: What is it?"
- "Money: How poor does Jesus want us to be?"
- "Time: How much do I have to give away?"
- "Stuff: How much can I have?"
- "Support: What will help?"
- "Next: What do I do come Monday morning?
- Discussion Guide for Tony Campolo video series (Luther Seminary, 2008).
- Simply Enough (DVD, 2007) -- Campolo and Claiborne offer refreshing new insights toward responsible Christian action in the areas of lifestyle, food, celebrations, stuff, money and justice. Ideal for group or individual use - especially for young adults. Approximately 75 minutes long with bonus footage and a study/action guide. $15 from tonycampolo.org.
Session Topics include:
- Lifestyle: God's Economy=Enough for Everyone, Are you living as Jesus Wants You to Live?, Will You Be a Merchant or an Angel?;
- Food: Guerilla Gardening, It's a Tomato!, Everyone's Invited to the Party;
- Celebrations: Expensive Weddings, Christmas Spending, Buy Nothing Day;
- Stuff: American Dream? How many outfits do you really need? Fair trade and Capitalism;
- Money: standard of living, relational tithing, living boldly;
- Justice: spending time with the poor, Checkbook Charity, holding leaders accountable.